At the beginning of this new year, DJ and I decided we wanted to start eating paleo. We don't eat badly by any means, but we just knew we needed to change something. DJ did the keto diet a few years ago, and loved it, but didn't want to go quite that intense this time around. We eat a whole ton of rice, and ice cream, and tortilla chips. Obviously with veggies and protein, but still... we weren't feeling so great and did some research, and landed on the paleo diet.
Our plan was to simply finish all the carby and sugary foods we had, so as not to waste them all... but we wouldn't be able to start for who knows how long. We reached out to some of our friends, and were able to give away all our food that we wouldn't be able to consume, so here we go! No processed sugars or carbs are to be found in our fridge or cabinets for the first time ever.
We aren't big coffee creamer people. I typically would just add a little cream and some organic sugar, but since neither of those are options in the paleo diet, I wanted to find something that was sweet and creamy but natural. I found this recipe while perusing around Pinterest, and decided to try it out. It's so yum! So I decided to share it! It's SO EASY and only four simple ingredients.
Paleo Coconut Vanilla Bean Coffee Creamer:
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 can organic full fat coconut milk (make sure the ingredients are only coconut and water)
- 1 pinch pink himalayan salt
- 1 full vanilla bean (can be found at any natural food stores. we found ours at Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op)
- Shake your can of coconut milk, pour into small saucepan, add coconut sugar, pinch of salt and heat on med-low.
- Cut vanilla bean in half, then slice lengthwise to open. Scrape seeds into milk, and stir until sugar is dissolved (do not let boil).
- Add used vanilla bean half, then let sit with lid. (I let mine sit on burner with heat off, while I brewed my coffee. You can either let it cool and serve later, or add into coffee while still warm. Your preference).
- Pour your creamer using a fine mesh strainer into a glass jar. Toss excess bean and seeds.
- Store in glass jar sealed with a lid in refrigerator. Shake before using, then pour into your favorite coffee. Enjoy within a week! :)